The recent outbreak of tornadoes has left behind devastation through the Midwest and Southeast. Over the last 20 years, the average number of tornadoes for the first three months of the year is 144. There have been 306 tornadoes reported for the first 70 days of 2012 – with 16 days still remaining!
- There have been 306 preliminary reports of tornadoes through the first 70 days of 2012.
- The 20-year average for the first three months of the year is 144 tornadoes. There is still 20 days until a full three months.
- 20 different states have been impacted by tornadoes in 2012.
- Kentucky has had the most tornadoes in 2012 with 39 tornadoes.
- Kentucky has already seen 186% of its 20-year (1991-2010) annual average of 21 tornadoes.
- The death toll in Kentucky has reached 23
- Alabama is second with 27 tornadoes
- There have been 54 tornado related fatalities in 2012
- Since 1951, there have been 33 years in which at least that many occurred in the USA, but only three years during which that number occurred by the 3rd of March
- Insured losses from the series of tornado outbreaks from February 28 to March 3 are estimated to reach up to $2 Billion